If you are a fan of WPF/Silverlight application, may be you know the open source slide show album http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/ . Slide.Show 2 is an open source Silverlight 2 control for publishing highly-customizable photo and video slide-shows on the Web. The most interesting feature of Slide.Show 2 is allowing us to display our albums which are stored in Flickr. That means I can upload my pictures to Flickr and use this Silverlight control to display them at my blog. Therefore I do not need to host any pictures at my host which costs a lot of disk space and do not have to back up anything. I push all risk to Flickr. Maybe you ask me why I don’t use Flash control with same features? The answer lies at “taste” and I am just a fan of Silverlight ^^.
So how can we use this control and embed it to our blog?
1. First you need to download XAP file control running with (you need only one of them):
Silverlight 2: http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/releases/view/30122#DownloadId=75109
Silverlight 3: http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/releases/view/30122#DownloadId=75114
2. Upload the XAP file to your blog. For example I upload it here http://hintdesk.com/Web/Silverlight/SlideShow2/Vertigo.SlideShow.xap
3. Register a Flickr account and get your user name. The user name is shown when you log in to Flickr.
4. Apply an APIKey for your application at http://www.flickr.com/services/api/misc.api_keys.html or you can use a global APIKey “b45329018eafdf2a4f89ebf6fb2bf47a” which is set up by Vertigo and can be used by any developer implementing Slide.Show 2.
4. Copy this embed code and edit it so that it can show your album
<object type="application/x-silverlight-2" data="data:application/x-silverlight-2," width="640" height="480"> <param name="background" value="#FFFFFFFF" /> <param name="source" value="http://hintdesk.com/Web/Silverlight/SlideShow2/Vertigo.SlideShow.xap" /> <param name="initParams" value="ConfigurationProvider=LightTheme,DataProvider=FlickrDataProvider;UserName=blog.hintdesk.com;ApiKey=b45329018eafdf2a4f89ebf6fb2bf47a;Album=Munich - Englischer Garten - 24.03.2010" /> <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=124807" style="text-decoration: none;"><img src="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108181" alt="Get Microsoft Silverlight" style="border-style: none" /></a> </object>
In the code above, I would like to load album of username “blog.hintdesk.com” (you can edit your username at http://www.flickr.com/account). Uri contains link of Flickr photo set. For more details about options when using this control you can read at
Slide.Show 2 Quick Start Guide: http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/releases/view/30122#DownloadId=75116
Slide.Show 2 Configuration Guide: http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/releases/view/30122#DownloadId=75118
And of course an example at the end
Use album name instead of album number because it’ll be changed after inserting a new album.