Dropbox is a Web-based file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc. that uses cloud storage to enable users to store and share files and folders with others across the Internet using file synchronization (from Wikipedia). Just drag and drop files into synchronized folders and we get files being back-up and accessed everywhere. I’ve used Dropbox for a long time and I find it’s pretty good except that the storage is small. It’s only about 2.5 GB after registration. If we want more, we have to advertise Dropbox to our friends. You know that I’m so lazy that I never introduce it to my friends. Therefore I had only 2 GB available but I stop now my complainment and go back to hot news (it’s not too hot. It’s already some days ago).
I’ll discuss usual ways to get more space of Dropbox at the end but now Dropbox has a campaign for testing its new feature of image/video importing. In this campaign you can get up to 5 GB free space more for testing. Just follow these steps:
0. If you haven’t used Dropbox before and want to try then you can download it from this link http://db.tt/W01m6BW (my reference link). Registering through this link, you’ll have 250 MB as gift and I have 500 MB as gift too. That means win-win.
1. Backup your Dropbox folder before installing new beta one.
2. Download beta version according to your operating system and install it
Mac OS X: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/Dropbox%201.3.13.dmg
Linux x86_64: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-1.3.13.tar.gz
Linux x86: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86-1.3.13.tar.gz
3. Go to Control Panel –> AutoPlay –> Check if Pictures/Video files are set to “Ask me every time”
4. Open regedit.exe, go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ check if key NoDriveTypeAutoRun exists. If yes, delete it.
5. Plug-in your cameras or phones or SD cards. I have tried with USB Flash Drive but it won’t work. It seems to be that Dropbox will check the devices before importing images/videos. After plug-in your devices you will have a popup likes following images
In case of that you have the second popup images, click on Change Program and choose “Import pictures and videos using Dropbox”. Dropbox will start to import your images/videos. Just after importing the first image , you’ll get 500 MB as gift. Then after synchronizing of each 500 MB images/videos, you’ll get 500 MB free space more up to 5 GB. Of course you can delete your images and videos after importing.
– Dropbox recognizes which images/videos were imported therefore you can’t import same images/video.
– Use video instead of image will be faster. Use your camera to record short videos of 10 seconds. It’s size will be 30 MB. Then you need only about 30 Minutes to create 5 GB video. Of course you can make video with large size but let’s consider that if file is too large, it takes more time to upload. If you turn off your computer, file needs to be uploaded again.
– There is a bug with Dropbox system so you won’t get the last 500 MB bonus. Don’t worry, Dropbox team is fixing it.
– Be fast, beta phase maybe won’t take so long.
As I said before, there are some methods to get more space in Dropbox.
1. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/gs and complete the quests to get more.
2. Take part in https://www.dropbox.com/referrals and invite your friends to use Dropbox. Each new registration from your friends you’ll get some more space.
3. Connect your social network with Dropbox you’ll get some more space https://www.dropbox.com/free
4. If you have an .edu mail, then go to https://www.dropbox.com/edu to verify you email, then Dropbox will double the credit for referrals. That means instead of 250 MB for each referral you’ll get 500 MB up to 16 GB for referral. If you don’t have any .edu email (like me), just try with your email of your university as you were student. I have tried with mytum.de (this is email of student at Technische Universität München) and it works too.