For research purposes I have to install Kali (successor of Backtrack) on Virtual Box. The installation is pretty fast however we have to know what we have to configure the VM settings and what we should choose in the installation step. I just write down these steps for my own documentation, maybe you will find it also helpful.
The most advanced penetration testing distribution, ever.
From the creators of BackTrack comes Kali Linux, the most advanced and versatile penetration testing distribution ever created. We have a whole set of amazing features lined up in our security distribution, geared at streamlining the penetration testing experience.
1. Installation steps
1. In Virtual Box, choose New and create a VM with following settings
2. 512 MB memory is enough be it’ll get more faster if you give it more in next screen. Create a virtual hard drive now. I choose VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) because I don’t need to use VM image with other software such as VM Ware. The hard drive should be set as Dynamically allocated, that’s our own image, we’re hosting provider, we don’t need to set this size fixed.
3. Be careful, your hard disk should be more than 8 GB. 8 GB is not enough, you’ll get error during installation. I set my one with 16 GB
4. You can now set location of VM Image and the start up hard disk size. I let all default and click Create
5. In Virtual Box, select our new created VM and go to Settings. Under System –> Processor, we should Enable PAE/NX then OK
6. Go to website of Kali http://www.kali.org/downloads/ and download Kali Linux 64 bit ISO version.
7. Start our new created VM, browse to .iso file at Select start-up disk
8. Select Install with up-down arrow
9. I choose English in Select a language, United States for location, German for keyboard (because I really use German keyboard) :).
10. For host name I use kali20141031, you can use anything but it shouldn’t be same as any computer in your LAN.
11. Let Domain name blank as default
12. Enter your root password
13. Choose Guided – use entire disk for partition
14. Choose our only one virtual Hard disk and All files in one partition option then Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
15. During installation we’ll be prompted to Use a network mirror for Configure the package manager, just choose No to continue
16. Installation is now finished. Enjoy yourself.
To update Kali simple use following command
apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade # If you've just updated your kernel, then: reboot
2.2 Use Wireless adapter in VirtualBox
Simple exclude Wireless USB adapter as USB devices in Settings –> USB